Thursday, January 20, 2011

Re-purpose Thursday

Today is Re-purpose Thursday and for my first project I decided to take a framed print that no longer matches any of my decor and re-purpose into a dry erase message board to help keep track of all my many projects throughout the week. I love starting with something that functioned one way and turning it into something else. I have so many projects in my home that had a whole different life before I got my hands on it.
I started with this print that just didn't match anymore.

After removing the backing and basically dismantling the picture from the frame I glazed the gold toned frame with a silver glaze. It took two coats to get the affect I wanted.


After that I decided to paint the matting that was still in place with a lovely taupe color called Mississippi Mudd. I also took two coats of paint and couple extra touch ups to get the coverage I wanted.


To finish up this project I attached the white board to the back of the newly glazed frame and matting. The white board I picked up was from Home Depot. I actually picked it up out of there slash bin. It is such a great resource sometimes. I can't tell you how many pieces of wood or plywood or particle board I have picked up from the slash bin that only cost me 50 cents or so.

All said and done I am pretty proud of the outcome. I already have started my list and it is helpful to just look up and there is everything I want to accomplish. Oh, and it looks great, because like my grandma always said function is fabulous but style is saying something!

1 comment:

  1. I love it! You did a great job. Thank you for posting it.

    ReplyDelete